Dynamic and Static Sealing of the Piston Rod Towards the Cylinder
Rod seals are used for sealing of retracting and extending cylinder rods. This prevents the pressurized process media from escaping from the cylinder. In addition, the cylinder is reliably protected against dirt, dust or any fluids. Due to the wide range of requirements in hydraulic applications, such as pressure, pressure peaks, sliding speeds, temperatures, and process media, choosing the right rod seal is very important. The Dichtomatik product brand portfolio offers a wide range of elastomer and thermoplastic rod seals, such as the N, S, SNI, SDS, SPOR series. Typical applications are hydraulic cylinders in mobile hydraulics, agricultural machinery, construction machinery, presses, and process applications.
Benefits at a Glance
- Broad product and material portfolio
- Temperature and media resistant
- Very good wear characteristics
- Reduced friction
- No stick-slip-effect
- Symmetrical and asymmetrical profiles
- Special designs for high loads
Choose the Right Solution for Your Needs
- N series: symmetrical U-ring which can be used as piston or rod seal
- SNI series: asymmetrical U-ring with inner dynamic sealing lip
- SDS01 series: V-packing set that consists of fabric and an elastomeric NBR ring. V-packings are used in conjunction with a back-up and pressure ring for extreme conditions
- SPOR series: Combination of a PTFE-bronze sealing element and an O-ring (NBR) as pre-tensioning element
- S72: wear and extrusion resistant TPU sealing element with a POM back-up ring
Please note that resistances, pressures and temperatures are mutually influenced by various parameters.
The task of rod seals is to seal the piston rod as it moves in and out in order to prevent the pressurized media from passing out of the cylinder. The seal material and the profile of the rod seal must be selected to suit the application and conditions of use.