Dynamic and Static Sealing of the Piston Against the Cylinder Barrel
To build up pressure in the piston chamber, piston seals seal the piston against the cylinder barrel. Due to the wide range of requirements in hydraulic applications (such as pressure, pressure peaks, sliding speeds, temperatures, and process media) choosing the right piston seal is very important. The Dichtomatik product brand portfolio offers a wide range of elastomer and thermoplastic seals, such as the K, KK, KNA, KPOR, or N series. Piston seals are used in hydraulic cylinders in mobile hydraulics, agricultural machinery, construction machinery, presses and in process applications.
Benefits at a Glance
- Broad range of product types and materials
- Temperature and media resistant
- Very good wear behavior
- Reduced friction
- No stick-slip effect
- Single- and double-acting piston seal types
- Symmetrical and asymmetrical piston seal designs
- Product types for especially high loads
Choose the Right Solution for Your Application
- KNA series: asymmetrical U-ring for one-side pressure load
- N series: symmetrical U-ring being suitable for one-side pressure load (can also be used as a rod seal)
- KPOR series: combination of a PTFE-bronze sealing element and an O-ring (NBR) that serves as a pre-tensioning element
- KK series: compact seal consisting of a sealing element combined with a backup ring and a guide element
- KDS01: 3-part sealing system for one-sided pressure load with pressure- and backup ring as well as V-packing made of NBR fabric
- K series: double-acting piston seals made of TPU and an elastomeric pre-tensioning element. (K70 with an O-ring and K84 with a rectangular ring)
Please note that resistances, pressures and temperatures are mutually influenced by various parameters.
Piston seals have the function of sealing the piston against the cylinder tube to ensure a pressure buildup in the piston chamber. Here the sealing material and the profile of the piston seal must be selected on the basis of the application and the conditions of use.